[dns-operations] go daddy refuses to register NS not otherwise associated with go daddy controlled domains

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Sep 12 00:26:03 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-11, at 20:13, George Michaelson <ggm at apnic.net> wrote:

> this is more tending to the provisioning and the registrar requirements side of things, than DNS on the wire.
>
> I recently wrote to godaddy asking why they refused to let me specify arbitrary NS against my domain.

The real answer depends on what registry your domain is registered in. The collection of words loosely resembling sentences that you quoted I think are trying to illustrate:

 - you need a registered host object for the nameserver in the registry your domain lives in
 - until that host object exists, the registry won't accept the change of nameservers
 - the host object is controlled by the superordinate domain object if one exists

There are others here more qualified to comment on the specifics of the host/domain object dependency mess, but you'll need to be more specific about the domain name and nameserver you're talking about before you get real answers.

Anyway, regardless, I think it's likely that this is a registry restriction, not a godaddy restriction, and that front-line support staff don't always explain things as thoroughly as they might (film at 11).

Joe