[dns-operations] go daddy refuses to register NS not otherwise associated with go daddy controlled domains

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Wed Sep 12 00:27:22 UTC 2012

I don't understand this, they are saying they will only do this for
domains under their management, implying that this domain isn't.

But you later say, only godaddy can modify the whois record for this
domain, which means godaddy is the registrar of record.

So you do this through the registrar of the parent domain, godaddy -
what am I not getting? Are they not doing it because you're not actually
using their nameservers?

The only exception I can think of is when you need to create a
nameserver record in the gtld roots for a nameserver that is in some
other ccTLD namespace - many registrars won't do that.

- mark

On 12-09-11 8:13 PM, George Michaelson wrote:
> this is more tending to the provisioning and the registrar requirements side of things, than DNS on the wire.
>
> I recently wrote to godaddy asking why they refused to let me specify arbitrary NS against my domain.
>
> Their answer is quite succinct:
>
> ================
> Dear George,
>
> Thank you for contacting Online Support regarding nameservers. You can only registered nameservers for domains you have with us. If the nameservers you are attempting to use do not involve a domain with us then the other company needs to register those nameservers. We only allow registered nameservers to be used on domains with us.
>
> Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason P
> Online Support Representative
>

> I am struggling to understand how a registrar can apply this restriction facing updates to registry for my domain. Surely this wasn't forseen as a requirement for registrar operations?
>
> Given that the only entity which can update my WHOIS record is .. godaddy, this is a real non-sequiteur answer: I am catch-22 if I retain a relationship with this registrar.
>
> Oh yes: new domains are captive for 60 days. So.. I can't move registrar for another 2 months.
>
> (I did in-baliwick NS, and got round it)
>
> -George

Mark Jeftovic, Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
Company Website: http://easydns.com
Read My Blog:    http://markable.com
+1-416-535-8672 ext 225