[dns-operations] go daddy refuses to register NS not otherwise associated with go daddy controlled domains

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Wed Sep 12 00:25:38 UTC 2012

I've been hit with a clue-stick that this behaviour is 5+ years old and understood.

As a *CONSUMER* of DNS services, I admit to some shock.

But I won't pretend I can prove "its wrong".

so basic rules for NS now include

WHOIS defined NS must exist inside some registrar.
WHOIS defined NS cannot reside under a sub-domain not managed directly in a registrar

grandfathered NS labels in WHOIS more than 5 years can persist

in baliwick NS in WHOIS are now simpler

-G