[dns-operations] Google Public DNS and round robin records

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Jul 22 16:51:13 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-22 4:19 PM, Mark Jeftovic wrote:

> If this is true, is it a stretch to see this impacting traffic patterns
> on a host whose traffic is almost 100% mobile devices, more so than
> other, standard websites using round robin?

yes.

when round robin was conceived, the idea of outsourced recursive dns was
even more unthinkable than it is today, and the impact of a single
operator's round robin behaviour (or lack of same) was seen as
negligible. now that we're putting so many eggs into so few baskets,
global internet traffic can be shaped in any of them.

running one's own recursive dns, by the way, is as easy as ever. and it
allows a network operator to control for themselves not only round robin
behaviour but also dnssec and other new feature implementation schedule.
and now that we've got DNS RPZ it's possible to have the "safety"
features like non-resolution of malicious domain names, that have up to
now been "selling points" for outsourced (centralized) recursive dns.

paul