[dns-operations] Google Public DNS and round robin records

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Sun Jul 22 16:19:36 UTC 2012

Am I right in thinking that Google public DNS simply does not cycle the
multiple records on a round-robin host. There have been a few threads on
this (i.e. google "round robin 8.8.8.8")

At first I thought this was just impacting a specific customer domain
but now it seems to be the same for any round-robin host I care to try
against it:

markjr at c3po:~$ dig +short rr.easypi.net @8.8.8.8
205.210.42.3
205.210.42.1
205.210.42.2
markjr at c3po:~$ dig +short rr.easypi.net @8.8.8.8
205.210.42.3
205.210.42.1
205.210.42.2
markjr at c3po:~$ dig +short rr.easypi.net @8.8.8.8
205.210.42.3
205.210.42.1
205.210.42.2
markjr at c3po:~$ dig +short rr.easypi.net @8.8.8.8
205.210.42.3
205.210.42.1
205.210.42.2
markjr at c3po:~$ dig +short rr.easypi.net @8.8.8.8
205.210.42.3
205.210.42.1
205.210.42.2

If this is true, is it a stretch to see this impacting traffic patterns
on a host whose traffic is almost 100% mobile devices, more so than
other, standard websites using round robin?

- mark

--
Mark Jeftovic, Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
Company Website: http://easydns.com