[dns-operations] Missing .us and GTLD records??

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat May 22 17:54:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 03:54:49PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * bert hubert:
>
> > It might be a grand idea to automatically switch on IPv6 for outgoing
> > queries if root-priming succeeds over V6.
> >
> > And perhaps switch IPv6 off again if none of the roots is reachable over
> > IPv6.
>
> I think the question is: why do you want to use IPv6 at all if IPv4 is
> available?

"it might be faster" - when determining which nameserver address + family to
talk to, everybody does so on the (banded) historical RTT. The IPv6 address
might simply be faster.

Unlikely as this seems, I've seen an example of this, two AS's with adverse
relations, but an IPv6 tunnel provider that had a very good route via a
third AS.

	Bert