[dns-operations] requirements for TLD servers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Mar 22 15:36:47 UTC 2010

On 22 Mar 2010, at 15:08, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> 	I know of at least two attempts to revamp RFC 2780,
> 	but they didn't get very far.  It would be a shame to
> 	see folks like ICANN successfuly pummel the ops folks
> 	with a practically defunct spec.

There's not much chance of that. The DNS requirements in ICANN's gTLD
contracts are rather low: a brush from a feather rather than a
pummelling.

What would be a concern here is someone/something filling that vacuum
and developing their own set of DNS requirements because of a lack of
interest from the technical experts.

>         How much interest
> 	is there in getting a revised RFC 2780 or a series of
> 	replacement RFCs out the door?

I'd be willing to work on this. Anyone else?