[dns-operations] .ORG DS in root zone

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Fri Jul 23 07:53:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:15:16 +0900, Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>
wrote:
> At 10:18 -0500 7/22/10, Chris Adams wrote:
>>I haven't seen any announcement, but I do now see DS records for .ORG in
>>the root zone.  I can now test using test.dnssec-tools.org with nothing
>>but the root anchor configured.
>
> Out of curiosity, what kind of announcement is expected?  Asking
> because we are considering adding (as in when, not if) our DS records
> and hadn't planned "to alert the media."

At the very least, you would inform your registrars first, then your
registrants. It may not be worth a press release, but maybe an announcement
on your web site *when* all the logistic and operational bits have been put
in place.

There is much more work involved than just adding DS records to the root
zone. Early announcements of services which cannot be easily delivered
because of failures in the supply chain only leads to negative press
coverage.

Patrick Vande Walle