[dns-operations] GSLB options?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Tue Nov 10 05:00:44 UTC 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 12:55, Simon Lyall wrote:

> Right now I'm looking at pgeodns ( http://geo.bitnames.com ) which is a little minimal but will do the DNS bit of the job at least. The other main  options appear to be Powerdns [...]

Simon, I know you probably know this, but for everyone else who's considering the open source options for this sort of thing:

pgeodns is servicing the pool.ntp.org domain picking nearby NTP servers for you out of a couple of thousand hosts, so most of you have probably done a lookup or two to it in the last few hours or days.

The big features are:

* Backed by JSON data it's extremely easy to read and write the zone data format programatically.  Being JSON it's also easy to read and write for humans - that's how they do it for svn.apache.org.

* It's well tested; both for years in production and also with unit tests and such.

* It's simple; about 800 lines of code including the embedded library documentation.

The DNS servers for pool.ntp.org happily does a billion requests a month or some such; with peaks well over the average (unsurprisingly there are some minutes of the hour that are much more popular for setting the time than others...).

I realize a few billion requests here and there are peanuts for most of you, of course.  In testing pgeodns does a couple thousand requests a second or some such.   To make it perform better and scale across multiple CPUs I'm making it into a powerdns backend.

 - ask