[dns-operations] No public calendar for the root signing deployment

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Dec 11 02:48:30 UTC 2009

Joe Abley wrote:
> On 2009-12-10, at 10:08, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:04:43AM +0000,
>> Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote
>> a message of 16 lines which said:
>>
>>>  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dns/dnssec.html [...] The point that
>>>  information should be easier to find is well-made.
>> Not only that but also that it should be more targeted to the regular
>> sysadmin. The NTIA page that you mention is highly bureaucratic and
>> mixes things of very different levels, some purely political. Unless
>> you are deeply immersed in Internet governance for several years, it
>> is quite difficult to extract the "operations" part of it. (And I
>> still do not find a detailed timeline.)
>
> I hear you. You are not the first person to make this observation, by far, and I think it's unfortunate that the problem isn't already addressed in an obvious way today. As I say, we are working on it. You should not interpret the obvious lack of progress on this to date as an indication that people don't think it's important (well, you can interpret things any way you want, but hopefully you understand what I mean).

On the one hand:
The 512 byte issue is not in any way new, it's been an issue for at
least 6 years. The fact that it's about to get a whole lot more
painful IS new, but frankly I don't think that putting it on the front
page of every major news outlet would really make a measurable dent in
"fixing" the problem. IMO the primary value in documentation on this
issue will be after the fact, so that we have something to refer
people to when their stuff breaks.

My suggestion on this would be that WE, as (arguably) exemplars of the
operator community put something together now. That way it should be
fairly well refined by the time we actually have to point people at it.

On the other hand:
Joe, I'm sorry but I have to hit you with the same stick that I got
hit with numerous times when the bullseye was painted on MY chest.
Merely saying, "This is important and we will do something about it"
is meaningless. "Important" is defined by "what gets done, and when."
There's no excuse for not having had this documentation on line
already. If you need help generating it, I'm available for a
reasonable fee. :)

Doug