[dns-operations] No public calendar for the root signing deployment

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Dec 11 08:04:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 06:48:30PM -0800,
 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote
 a message of 47 lines which said:

> frankly I don't think that putting it on the front page of every
> major news outlet would really make a measurable dent in "fixing"
> the problem. IMO the primary value in documentation on this issue
> will be after the fact, so that we have something to refer people to
> when their stuff breaks.

Whether it is useful before the fact (I'm also a skeptic: users often
don't listen unless they have an actual problem to solve) or just
after is irrelevant: we should do something.

> My suggestion on this would be that WE, as (arguably) exemplars of
> the operator community put something together now.

OK, and, IMHO,
<http://labs.ripe.net/content/preparing-k-root-signed-root-zone> is a
good example (may be we could just refer to it? After all, it was
written by a root operator.)

I have also a draft text in french for the local Internet
community. Draft, unofficial but those who read french can still ask
me a copy.

> Joe, I'm sorry but I have to hit you with the same stick that I got
> hit with numerous times when the bullseye was painted on MY chest.

I agree that "There's no excuse for not having had this documentation
on line already" but it is probably not Joe's fault. Many
organizations are not "2.0", you need the signatures of ten VP and
twenty lawyers before you can publish anything.