[dns-operations] No public calendar for the root signing deployment

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Dec 10 13:28:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:10:40AM +0000, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2009-12-10, at 10:08, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:04:43AM +0000,
> > Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote
> > a message of 16 lines which said:
> >
> >>  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dns/dnssec.html [...] The point that
> >>  information should be easier to find is well-made.
> >
> > Not only that but also that it should be more targeted to the regular
> > sysadmin. The NTIA page that you mention is highly bureaucratic and
> > mixes things of very different levels, some purely political. Unless
> > you are deeply immersed in Internet governance for several years, it
> > is quite difficult to extract the "operations" part of it. (And I
> > still do not find a detailed timeline.)
>
> I hear you. You are not the first person to make this observation, by far, and I think it's unfortunate that the problem isn't already addressed in an obvious way today. As I say, we are working on it. You should not interpret the obvious lack of progress on this to date as an indication that people don't think it's important (well, you can interpret things any way you want, but hopefully you understand what I mean).
>

> Joe

	i have empathy for the very difficult situation you are in - however
	this transition shows how hamstrung the operational community is when
	it is held hostage to political/burocratic posturing.  lack of constructive
	dialog has been a hallmark of this transition.  so we have a situation where
	the operational community is placed in a reactive stance - wondering just what
	the heck is going to get tossed over the wall and when.  we will cope and
	things will continue to mostly work ... but credibility and trust suffer.

	this is no way to run a railroad.

	imho of course and best of luck

--bill