[dns-operations] .MUC ?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Aug 13 15:54:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 01:33:18PM -0500, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> BTW, SITA has already several IATA codes active under .aero (www.jfk.aero,
> www.mia.aero, etc).

I haven't gone back to the original delegation docs at ICANN, but ISTR
that originally all the IATA codes were reserved in .aero.  I believe
they all originally resolved to a landing page that the registry
operator ran, which suggested that the airport in question was welcome
to the name if they wanted it.  I think SITA eventually released the
ones that weren't taken.  Too bad, I think, since it seems to me that
it'd be an excellent name under which various airports could provide
information, such as flight status and so on.  It would make building
little tools for phones and such like way easier.  You'd just need to
know airport codes to get started.  But it's your standard network
effect problem: nearly everyone needs to do it, or it won't get
started.  The early "sponsored TLDs" notion at ICANN didn't seem to me
to be a real bad idea, but it doesn't appear to have worked as one
might have liked.

Just a bit of gossip,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com