[dns-operations] UPDATED ROOT ZONE FILE: 2008-05-26-01

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue May 27 20:56:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 08:04:22PM -0500, John Palmer (NANOG Acct) wrote:
> OK, the first reasonable response.
>
> The reason that I publish the notice is that there are alot of commentary
> lines that talk about what changes were made.
>
> This root was populated from Public-Root.com (Herman Xennt) and
> there are alot of "dead" tlds in zone.
>
> These updates are notices of changes to remove/adjust the dead/misconfigured
> So, what is the consensus: A short notice each month with a link to the
> change
> log?  I get the impression that folks don't like the long version.

The consensus appears to be no posting.

If you absolutely need to post, a link would suffice, not the whole
thing.

If I understand you correctly, this is a modified version of someone
else's root zone file.  It reminds me of Garrison Keillor's description
of how his grandfather's Protestant church started splitting up due to
disagreements about one thing or another, until by the time Garrison was
a child, the congregation was himself, his mother, and two neighbors,
coming to their house every Sunday to listen to his grandfather preach.

This is a bad thing for Gospel truth or DNS truth.  The number of TLDs
you have to update monthly due to bad name servers or other reasons is
such a strong support of having a single stable DNS root with a limited
number of TLDs, I wonder that only one person has supported letting you
post so that this bad example helps reinforce why it shouldn't be
allowed.

--
Joe Yao
Qinetiq NA / Analex Contractor