[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri May 23 05:56:48 UTC 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 6:48 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> i'm disinclined to repeat myself here in
> less than two days, and especially since DRC is on the warpath and
> i'm near my
> limit on how much dismissive derisive sarcasm i can swallow for the
> week.

Not unexpected.

I know nothing will substantively change, even if there were a BCP.  A
brief flurry of discussion, a bit of tilting at windmills.  The
reality is that there is no mechanism in place to incent a change in
the current system and no way to force it either.

An odd way to run a railroad.

> if we want to do away with renumbering events, then IANA should stop
> agreeing
> to renumbering events.  "i need to move it out of my /16 so i can do
> anycast"
> is just lame.  so is "ep.net's my address registry and bill's a
> jerk."  suck
> it up and do your job, is what IANA ought to tell rootops who asks
> to renumber,
> if we think that renumbering is a problem.

I am not at liberty to explain as it involves lawyers, but I suspect
Paul is fully aware this is BS.

I guess we'll just wait until the next incident.  I'm sure it will all
work out in the end.

Regards,
-drc