[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri May 23 01:48:58 UTC 2008

> > but golden addresses is just crazy talk.
>
> Can you expand on why you think it's crazy talk?

i did.  several times earlier in this thread.  i guess i should blog about it
so there's a single place to for it.  i'm disinclined to repeat myself here in
less than two days, and especially since DRC is on the warpath and i'm near my
limit on how much dismissive derisive sarcasm i can swallow for the week.  i
promise to tell you over beers at NANOG.

> The argument against golden addresses that comes to mind for me is an
> aesthetic dislike for having anything in the addressing system reserved for
> a specific use above layer 3.  But, I think the benefit of doing away with
> renumbering events overcomes my aesthetic issues...

this touches everything.  many of the things it touches are already unstable.
if we want to do away with renumbering events, then IANA should stop agreeing
to renumbering events.  "i need to move it out of my /16 so i can do anycast"
is just lame.  so is "ep.net's my address registry and bill's a jerk."  suck
it up and do your job, is what IANA ought to tell rootops who asks to renumber,
if we think that renumbering is a problem.