[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC trivia

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Jan 9 16:54:52 UTC 2008

At 10:47 -0500 1/9/08, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:30:48AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>
>>  	The registry *already* have this requirement.  None of them
>>  	became a registry before RFC 1034 was published.  They have
>>  	already bought into the requirement whether they realise
>>  	it or not.
>
>You seem to be missing my point, which is that not everyone agrees
>with you that this is in fact a requirement; and that we have a
>mechanism for deciding whether it _is_ a requirement for a large
>number of registries.  That mechanism is the consensus process in
>ICANN.  If you don't like the results of that consensus determination,
>then I encourage you either to work within ICANN to change the
>determination, or else work to replace ICANN.  But saying over and
>over again that there's a requirement, when others do not agree there
>is one, is not proving anything.

Me too.  (Caveat: ICANN is the flagship place to discuss this.  I bet
there are other policy boards, governing a ccTLD, that rely on ICANN
policies as a guide, not formally having to conform.)

I looked through RFC 1034 and couldn't any such requirement.  But
even if it were, it comes down to what's in the contracts and not the
RFCs that matters.