[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jan 9 10:36:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:30:30PM +0000,
 Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz at iks-jena.de> wrote
 a message of 21 lines which said:

> In consequence we received an e-mail explaining, that the server
> does not respond with the ICANN servers for "."

As I said, the best solution is to stop recursivity on the
authoritative name server (the test is only done if the server is
recursive), which is Good Practice, anyway.

> and the zone was not longer delegated from FR.

This is completely impossible. As I said, AFNIC never deletes a ".fr"
for a technical fault (technical tests are done *before* delegation
and a technical failure, once the delegation is done, cannot cause a
deletion or holding or whatever). AFAIK, ".br" is the only registry
which undelegates domains if a technical test fails (I'm note sure,
please check with ".br" people before spreading the information).

If you want to sort out that, do not hesitate to send me details
privately (or to the official channel, support at afnic.fr).