[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Thu Jan 10 11:09:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:59:05AM +0100, Patrik F?ltstr?m wrote:
> > > These are the checkes done at for example my service http://dnscheck.se/
> >
> > you used to have a tool which, given a delegating zone, checked the
> > servers of all the children.  is is still around?
>
> Yes, that is what is used on this website...let me create a tar ball
> with the code. Note though: Next version is completely rewritten by
> Jakob Schlyter, and is currently in early tests. That is much better
> design of the code itself, will be perl libraries that are easy to
> include in your other software etc.

I've written a similar piece of code once for a company I worked
for which stored the historical information in a database so that
you could show to customers, after having taken over their DNS
services, that the quality of the data in DNS and their DNS service
had actually improved.

Running it against zones like eu.org gave enough different kind of
failures to make sure that running it on customers networks was a
piece of cake :-)

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org