[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Frederico A C Neves fneves at registro.br
Mon Jan 14 16:25:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:36:57AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:30:30PM +0000,
>  Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz at iks-jena.de> wrote
>  a message of 21 lines which said:
>
> > and the zone was not longer delegated from FR.
>
> This is completely impossible. As I said, AFNIC never deletes a ".fr"
> for a technical fault (technical tests are done *before* delegation
> and a technical failure, once the delegation is done, cannot cause a
> deletion or holding or whatever). AFAIK, ".br" is the only registry
> which undelegates domains if a technical test fails (I'm note sure,
> please check with ".br" people before spreading the information).

We only accept delegations and updates when the servers are correctly
configured.

Weekly we recheck de delegations, keep a public report at whois, and
every two weeks report back on lame delegation cases.

We don't undelegate lame domains but we continue to notify them.

This policy brought our lame delegations to 9% of our zone data. See
http://registro.br/stat/dns.html for historic data.

> If you want to sort out that, do not hesitate to send me details
> privately (or to the official channel, support at afnic.fr).

Fred