[dns-operations] caches only resetting TTL? was Re: Where to find "DNS resolution path corruption"?

Antoin Verschuren Antoin.Verschuren at sidn.nl
Tue Feb 26 14:53:22 UTC 2008

dns-operations-bounces at lists.oarci.net wrote:

> From what I saw: dnscache will update the TTL for ns1.example.com to
> its
> original value. As a result, as long as there is one query per TTL,
> it will never notice a change in the delegation.

Thanx, so I'm not a complete idiot.

> But I don't know whether this behaviour is RFC
> compliant...haven't figured it
> out yet.

Well, it is offcource not RFC compliant to run authoritative for a zone that is not delegated to you.
So if people didn't do this, there is nothing wrong with the resolvers behaviour.
The only thing you can argue about is whether a resolver should take into account that the world isn't perfect.

Antoin Verschuren

Technical Policy Advisor
SIDN
Utrechtseweg 310