[dns-operations] caches only resetting TTL? was Re: Where tofind "DNS resolution path corruption"?

Antoin Verschuren Antoin.Verschuren at sidn.nl
Tue Feb 26 14:40:39 UTC 2008

dns-operations-bounces at lists.oarci.net wrote:

> The other case that is occasionally seen is when ISPs do not
> separate authoritative and recursive servers and their own
> customers are served with the stale, outdated data.

Yes, another case I regularly see is that ISP's mailservers relay for domains which they are authoritative for.
So the customer transfers his domain, but the mail is still delivered localy at the old ISP for those customers that use the same mailserver
But that was not the case in the situation I was describing.

> Not sure
> that the registry should support this practice by insisting
> the old zone be deleted.

We have a procedure that registrars should follow when transfering domains.
The old registrar should in principle start running secondary when he is notified of the transfer, and we send him a reminder 2 weeks after the transfer that he can delete the secondary zone. So we support it in our procedures, and can be fully automated.
The policy issue for us is that a registrant is free in his choice of registrar, and that it should be "easy" to transfer.
A registrar can never "block" a customer from leaving. By not deleting the zone, the registrar is in a sence punnishing his former customer for leaving. See it more as a code of conduct for our registrars as a policy, not a technical requirement.

Antoin Verschuren

Technical Policy Advisor
SIDN
Utrechtseweg 310