[dns-operations] First victim of AAAA records in the root zone

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Feb 4 20:38:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:01:38AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> At least the first one I've encountered: "dnstracer -s ." doesn't work
> on IPv6-capable hosts with no global IPv6 routing because it
> unconditionally uses the AAAA record of A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. 8-)

That's more because "-s ." is a replacement for "-s a.root-servers.net".
It even breaks if you do "-4 -s .", where -4 stands for "use only
IPv4 servers":

    [~] edwin at k7>dnstracer -4s a.root-servers.net www.mavetju.org
    Tracing to www.mavetju.org[a] via a.root-servers.net, maximum of 3 retries

A temporary work-around is to use "-s b.root-servers.net" so that
the second issue is overcome.

The real issue here is though:

    "doesn't work on IPv6-capable hosts with no global IPv6 routing".

That's the same as complaining that you can't real www.$somesite
when you don't have global IPv4 routing.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |              Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/