[dns-operations] best way to reprime root-hints?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Feb 4 20:15:44 UTC 2008

Hi people,

While fixing some bugs in PowerDNS, I noticed a.root-servers.net no longer
returns all IP addresses of all root-servers (it gets as far as J). This may
have been the case for a long time. Instead we now have some AAAA records,
which is good.

However, it used to be possible to refresh the root with a single query. I'm
pondering what is best these days, iterating over all NS records returned to
get their IP addresses, quering for each of them in turn?

The problem is that otherwise in quite a number of cases, outdated
information will remain in cache otherwise, in this case l.root-servers.net.

Ideas?

	Bert