[dns-operations] whois location standard

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Tue Aug 26 10:59:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 09:55 +0000,
dns-operations-request at mail.dns-oarc.net wrote:

> From: "Jay Daley" <jay at nominet.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [dns-operations] whois location standard
>
> > aa.xx can subvert the xx WHOIS service, as perceived by the end user,
> > by claiming to run its own WHOIS service and serve bad or misleading
> > data for aa.xx.
>
> That depends on how you think the SRV WHOIS record is meant to be used or
> more generally WHOIS is meant to be used.  AFAIK WHOIS is always the
> parent talking about the child.
>
> So only xx can give a WHOIS answer for aa.xx.  aa.xx can't give one for
> themselves.
>
> Jay

Ok - I see where the disconnect comes in now. I thought what Jay says
above was obvious, but I make that mistake often ;-)

xx can only publish for aa.xx, bb.xx etc
aa.xx can only publish for aa.aa.xx, aa.bb.xx etc
bb.xx can only publish for aa.bb.xx, aa.bb.xx etc

But each zone can tell where their server is located.

Actually - they could publish whois for whoever they like, but:
1) I'd only ask for domains in their zone and;
2) I'd only believe them for domains in their zone.

or put another way - this is a way to find the location of whois
information for domain in (under?) a particular zone...

--Calvin