[dns-operations] whois location standard

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Aug 26 08:18:33 UTC 2008

Calvin Browne wrote:
[..]
>> A draft has been around for it seems like forever.
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sanz-whois-srv-00
[..]

> What I like is it can apply to any zone (dig _nicname._tcp.co.za SRV
> +short).

Or even better: y.z.in-addr.arpa thus allowing reverse delegation
boundaries to be used for finding which whois server to query for
reverse delegation information. At the moment (afaik) client utilities
need to have a built-in list of prefixes and which RIR they are
delegated to and thus need to be updated every time there is a new block.

The big question of course always with these is of course how to figure
out the right label, as also described in 3.2 of the above draft.
IMHO Top-down is a better model from the administrative point of view,
that way, sub-delegations can't override the whois entry of anything
above it. From a end-user point of view though one wants the bottom-up
model, thus which one is it going to be?

Greets,
 Jeroen