[dns-operations] delegation-only: How useful?

Patrik Wallström pawal at blipp.com
Mon Aug 25 19:37:43 UTC 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Joe Abley wrote:

>> Several ccTLDs which are not listed in ISC's root-delegation-only
>> exclude list have _nicname._tcp/IN/SRV entries to help WHOIS clients.
>
> I had not heard of that. That's fun.
>
> (Some of those records seem to have problems, unless I'm confused;
> see AF, GR, VG below. Although as people might have noticed by now I
> am a fan of the kind of signalling that I might infer about AF and
> GR :-)
>
> A draft codifying the use of _nicname._tcp.${zone} SRV records for
> this purpose seems like it might be quick, easy and useful.

A draft has been around for it seems like forever.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sanz-whois-srv-00

There was some talk about reviving it on the CENTR tech list when I
was doing some moving around of the .SE whois server.

If you want to do some work I would appreciate it. But talk to some
implementors while you're at it.

--
patrik_wallstrom->foodfight->pawal at blipp.com->+46-733173956