[dns-operations] delegation-only: How useful?

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Mon Aug 25 19:41:51 UTC 2008

On 25 Aug 2008, at 15:37, Patrik Wallström wrote:

> A draft has been around for it seems like forever.
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sanz-whois-srv-00

Oh! Nice.

> There was some talk about reviving it on the CENTR tech list when I
> was doing some moving around of the .SE whois server.
>
> If you want to do some work I would appreciate it. But talk to some
> implementors while you're at it.

Is there any kind of canonical list of whois client implementers?

I once threw code at the FreeBSD and OpenBSD whois clients to cause
them to look for whois server names for ${zone} using ${zone}.whois-
servers.net, and that seemed well-received (the changes were
committed). It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to look for SRV
records as well. But these are just two clients; I'm sure there are
many more.

Joe