[dns-operations] D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG

Olivier Guillard / AFNIC Olivier.Guillard at nic.fr
Mon Apr 21 07:37:42 UTC 2008

Hi Joe,

> One of the checks that the IANA performs is, I believe, that the apex
> NS set matches the requested delegation NS set.

You are right, for what I know, here are some of the tests that
IANA performs:

- The name servers to be introduced in the root zone for that TLD
  must respond to DNS queries from the Internet and must answers
  authoritatively for the TLD zone.

- The set of NS records must be consistent between those supplied
  on the IANA form, and those served by all proposed authorities.

- The proposed glue data for all proposed authorities must be
  consistent with the A and/or AAAA records for that host.

- The serial numbers for the zone should be consistent across all
  authorities.

Best,

---
Olivier

le samedi 19 avril à 21 H 11 , Joe Abley a ecrit :

> On 19 Apr 2008, at 12:24 , T.Suzuki wrote:
>
> > What are these difference between ROOT and INFO authorities ?
>
> When you want to change the delegation NS set for a zone, and the zone
> is a TLD, you send a sensible and well-formed request to the IANA for
> action. The IANA then performs a series of checks. Once all checks
> have passed, the change is actioned.
>
> One of the checks that the IANA performs is, I believe, that the apex
> NS set matches the requested delegation NS set.
>
> We have updated the apex NS set for INFO in preparation for such a
> request. As such, the difference between the delegation and apex NS
> set for INFO should be considered transient.
>
> Note that the process of changing the root zone is properly
> conservative, however, and the time between request submission and
> change being action is typically measured in days rather than minutes.
>

> Joe

Olivier