[dns-operations] D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Apr 21 00:35:48 UTC 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
> As far as I know the DoC does no technical checks, and does not
> purport to do so either. As far as I know their interest is concerned
> with such layer-9 questions as "is this request intended to effect a
> change in administration for this TLD?".
>
> But since the IANA are the only people in the chain who I have seen
> talk publically about their process, commentary on the other aspects
> are nothing more than speculation on my part.

IANA is unaware of what processes DoC undertake prior to authorizing
changes.  Even if IANA staff were aware, it wouldn't be appropriate
for IANA staff to speak on behalf of the USG. I will note, however,
that no correctly formulated request submitted by IANA to DoC has ever
been denied.

Regards,
-drc