[dns-operations] D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Sun Apr 20 03:10:15 UTC 2008

On 19-Apr-08, at 22:51, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> requests to change the root zone
>>
>> - are authenticated by the IANA
>> - trigger technical checks by the IANA
>> - trigger administrative checks by the US DoC
>> - trigger technical checks by Verisign
>> - result in changes to the root zone by Verisign
>
> i wonder what technical checks the doc and verisign could do that iana
> would not already have done.

As far as I know the DoC does no technical checks, and does not
purport to do so either. As far as I know their interest is concerned
with such layer-9 questions as "is this request intended to effect a
change in administration for this TLD?".

But since the IANA are the only people in the chain who I have seen
talk publically about their process, commentary on the other aspects
are nothing more than speculation on my part.

Joe