[dns-operations] Strange 0.0.0.0.p.t.t.h.ip6.arpa. queries

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Oct 10 05:10:29 UTC 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 13:10, Duane Wessels wrote:

[....]
>> It might make sense to try to do that when making queries, but it
>> doesn't when using the code on the other side (as a server).
>
> I am under the impression that this is happening on the client side.
> I guess you could run tcpdump and see what the queries look like
> coming in of the net.

I did - and it happens in the server.  Some of the Net::DNS::Resolver
"smarts" are inappropriately in a lower-level packet wrangling module
where it ends up being used by the server.   I submitted a patch to
Net::DNS to move this logic into the resolver.

Thanks again for your help tracking it down Duane!

  - ask