[dns-operations] Reducing AS112 traffic

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Nov 12 22:22:44 UTC 2007

	draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones has been working its
	way through the IETF process.  The covers the reverses
	for RFC 1918 as well as other address ranges.

	BIND 9.4 already has the code in place with the RFC1918
	addresses #ifdef'd out.  We are really hoping to get
	draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones out of the working
	group so we remove the #ifdef for BIND 9.5.

	Other nameserver vendors are also waiting for this to pass
	through the IETF process.  I havn't heard from any SOHO
	router vendors, but they are part of the target audience
	for this.

	We know that it will cause some disruption to some clients
	and we need the RFC to be there.  We also know we can't do
	a perfect job.  We will however vastly reduce the amount
	of such traffic.

	In the meantime the OS defaults are changing to include
	pre-configured empty zones for the list in
	draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones.

	BIND 9.4 also warns when it receives a response from a AS112
	server.  People are noticing the log messages and there is
	a FAQ for how to deal with the messages.  There is enough
	detail in the log message to work out who is leaking the
	queries.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC