[dns-operations] *.a.0.0.1.0.a.2.ip6.arpa SERVFAIL's on tinnie.arin.net

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Mar 23 15:42:23 UTC 2007

At 15:31 +0000 3/23/07, Jeroen Massar wrote:

>Though these are IPv6 reverses, hosts trying to look them up will most
>likely have IPv6 enabled.  IPv6-only hosts (if they exist) will most
>likely simply skip over the server and try the next one. It doesn't hurt
>having it not defined though, it was just something I noticed while tracing.

True, but, sometimes I may be able to route v6 from A to B, but not
to C and D where the DNS' are.  (Just for instance.)  I'm not saying
v6 is evil, but it is still spotty in areas.  Even if it is good
local to someone person, you have to prepare to handle those in the
"spotty" places.

>I don't think sending it to dns-operations is 'indiscreet' especially as

;) There's a difference between remembering to do something
discreetly and being indiscreet.  There are times when is seems like
someone is trying to embarrass an organization when they are merely
trying to warn of a possible widespread outage.  This is more of a
general reminder...when we observe something that looks like an
outage - a discreet message to the source of the issue is always
better received than seeing a public report.

If you think others should know - send a discreet message first and
then say publicly something like "I've reported this, but to save
others the trouble..."
This is all about perceptions and not about intentions.

(Sorry for being so hard, maybe it's the rain outside or just the end
of the IETF that has me in the mood to whine. ;))