[dns-operations] *.a.0.0.1.0.a.2.ip6.arpa SERVFAIL's on tinnie.arin.net

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Mar 23 15:55:10 UTC 2007

Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 15:31 +0000 3/23/07, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>> Though these are IPv6 reverses, hosts trying to look them up will most
>> likely have IPv6 enabled.  IPv6-only hosts (if they exist) will most
>> likely simply skip over the server and try the next one. It doesn't hurt
>> having it not defined though, it was just something I noticed while
>> tracing.
>
> True, but, sometimes I may be able to route v6 from A to B, but not to C
> and D where the DNS' are.  (Just for instance.)  I'm not saying v6 is
> evil, but it is still spotty in areas.  Even if it is good local to
> someone person, you have to prepare to handle those in the "spotty" places.

Full ack, see ipv6-ops at lists.clunet.de for some very heated mails on
that subject. Most of those problems can be resolved quickly enough if
the correct persons can be found.

[..]
> If you think others should know - send a discreet message first and then
> say publicly something like "I've reported this, but to save others the
> trouble..."
> This is all about perceptions and not about intentions.

I fully agree, and that is also what I should have done, usually I do
it, for some silly reason not this time; lets see if I can set my brain
to it next time ;)

> (Sorry for being so hard, maybe it's the rain outside or just the end of
> the IETF that has me in the mood to whine. ;))

Oh don't worry, no offense taken at all. I have been more than overly
nasty in my responses in the last couple of days on a couple of lists
too. Compared to that, I consider this simply as a very nice reminder.

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: There are a *lot* of good indoor museums in Prague :)