[dns-operations] *.a.0.0.1.0.a.2.ip6.arpa SERVFAIL's on tinnie.arin.net

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Mar 23 15:31:45 UTC 2007

Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 0:41 +0000 3/23/07, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>>>From a "dig +trace a.0.0.1.0.a.2.ip6.arpa." we learn:
>
>>[*snick* ns.icann.org isn't v6 enabled :( the rest are btw... ]
>
> I don't get the cynicism.  It's good to have an IPv4 only machine in the
> set.  There are many name servers that will try the AAAA and fail and
> then give up on the A record.  Until the v6 network is solid and/or
> until we rid the network of old code it's good to have at least one
> v4-only NS everywhere.

A very valid and good point, that didn't pop up to me at that moment.

Though these are IPv6 reverses, hosts trying to look them up will most
likely have IPv6 enabled.  IPv6-only hosts (if they exist) will most
likely simply skip over the server and try the next one. It doesn't hurt
having it not defined though, it was just something I noticed while tracing.

[..]
>>Can somebody have a look at this as it is causing intermittent reverse
>>resolution problems with a probability of 1/5 boxes, which then get
>>cached which makes it a nice find why your reverse is sometimes broken,
>>then works again and then breaks again.... ;)
> Did you try discreetly asking ARIN to fix this?  Perhaps at noc at arin.net.

Oops, no, but I'll forward the message there also. Thanks for the tip.
I actually only looked in the SOA of arin.net where bind at arin.net is
found which should be appropriate enough, I hope. Hmm, I wonder all of a
sudden why I didn't do a whois for their IP block as that contains
noc at arin.net. I'll just blame my lack of caffeine/sleep for that. (not
caused by this but simply by doing too many things at the same time)

I don't think sending it to dns-operations is 'indiscreet' especially as
there might be people who where seeing similar issues, but just couldn't
figure out yet why it was occurring. Thus see this, like my small notice
on top of a recent message to ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de, just as a
friendly note.

Greets,
 Jeroen