[dns-operations] Karl Auerbach on adding 'millions' more TLD - what do folks think about the operational impact?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jan 9 08:49:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 11:18:35PM +0100,
 Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

> Other difficult questions are, I think, what responsibilities "we"
> have (for some definition of "we") that a domain name that is
> registered will always be in DNS even if the registry go "poof" and
> who should be the registry for a given TLD. And million of other
> questions of course that have nothing to do with the value of N.

And these questions are completely off-topic for this list. The
original question was "Is there a technical and ops-related reason to
limit the number of TLDs to the existing 250-300?" There are some
issues (as pointed in this discussion) but no hard limits. So, the
question of wether or not we SHOULD add TLDs is off-topic (the
question of wether or not we CAN add TLDs is on-topic).