[dns-operations] Karl Auerbach on adding 'millions' more TLD - what do folks think about the operational impact?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jan 8 22:56:26 UTC 2007

	I'm not so much worried about what the current roots can
	handle in terms of numbers of TLD's.  I am however worried
	about what future roots can handle.

	Today the vast majority if the traffic to the root servers
	just results in NXDOMAIN being returned. Be it IPv4 addresses,
	IPv6 addresses, unqualified hosts, .local queries, etc.

	While some of those queries could be intercepted by having
	well known empty zones in iterative resolvers.  There is
	still a large amount of queries that can't be intercepeted
	in this manner.

	There is however a solution which does allow the queries
	to be intercepted and that is to make every iterative
	resolver also a root server.  Most of these root servers
	would be small boxes (e.g. SOHO Router).  They don't need
	millions of TLD's.

	Last time I checked the root zone fitted into a single
	DNS/TCP message.

	We have ISP's doing this today to save money and improve
	the response time to their client.  Transfer 2 64k messages
	a day vs the thousands of UDP queries.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC