[dns-operations] the thread of the week

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Aug 3 14:55:35 UTC 2007

On 2 Aug 2007, at 15:12, Edward Lewis wrote:
> I think that there is a general underestimation of the advantages of
> locally slaving roots.

	Probably much less so, after this thread.

On 2 Aug 2007, at 18:50, Paul Vixie wrote:
> among cooperating wizards, i think this has a real benefit over its
> costs.
> but for the rest of the world, we'll keep adding anycast root
> server nodes
> to serve the same purpose but without the end user wizardry.

	Some questions occur to me.

	Anycast is already widespread.  Why not just encourage its further
	deployment, rather than promote a less-well-established method to
	achieve the same, desirable (IMHO), 'glocal' effect?

	[ 'Wizards need the fun^H^H^Hpractice' would be a sufficient reason,
	  but if that's it, we should be honest about it. 8-) ]

	Is there some tipping point in the scaling of either method which
	constrains its applicability, and so favours the other?

	Is there perhaps a 'diversity dividend'?

	#0,02

	Have a good week-end.

	/Niall