[dns-operations] the thread of the week

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Aug 3 15:24:08 UTC 2007

When I had a sporadic internet connection and my nameserver was
doing negative caching I could not use bind at all until I started
first slaving the root and later everything I regularly used.

Slaving made the diff between works or doesn't work.

Later I remember some banks who used slaving after they had
experienced cachepoisoning.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

Niall O'Reilly wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2007, at 15:12, Edward Lewis wrote:
>
>> I think that there is a general underestimation of the advantages of
>> locally slaving roots.
>

>     Probably much less so, after this thread.
>
> On 2 Aug 2007, at 18:50, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
>> among cooperating wizards, i think this has a real benefit over its
>> costs.
>> but for the rest of the world, we'll keep adding anycast root  server
>> nodes
>> to serve the same purpose but without the end user wizardry.
>

>     Some questions occur to me.
>
>     Anycast is already widespread.  Why not just encourage its further
>     deployment, rather than promote a less-well-established method to
>     achieve the same, desirable (IMHO), 'glocal' effect?
>
>     [ 'Wizards need the fun^H^H^Hpractice' would be a sufficient reason,
>       but if that's it, we should be honest about it. 8-) ]
>
>     Is there some tipping point in the scaling of either method which
>     constrains its applicability, and so favours the other?
>
>     Is there perhaps a 'diversity dividend'?
>
>     #0,02
>
>     Have a good week-end.
>
>     /Niall

Peter and Karin Dambier