[dns-operations] Update: FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Aug 2 21:32:41 UTC 2007

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:30:22AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> 3. Remove the B and F root servers from the example at the request of
>>    their operators.
>
> 	feel free to include "B" - IF - you can produce a concensus
> 	statement from the FreeBSD community that this behaviour is
> 	what they want and have asked for.

Many FreeBSD users have stated publicly and privately that they like
the change, both individual users and operators of name servers for
busy networks. One was even kind enough to analyze a month's worth of
logs (from the time the change first went in) and let me know that he
was surprised how much crap used to be leaving his network, and
expressing appreciation for the fact that he was now providing better
service to his users.

That said, I'm not going to play the "how many angels are dancing on
the head of this pin?" game. If you feel comfortable having your
server in there, please let me know and I'll be glad to add it to the
next delta. If not, no worries.

Doug

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough