[dns-operations] Update: FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Aug 3 03:48:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:32:41PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:30:22AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> >> 3. Remove the B and F root servers from the example at the request of
> >>    their operators.
> >
> > 	feel free to include "B" - IF - you can produce a concensus
> > 	statement from the FreeBSD community that this behaviour is
> > 	what they want and have asked for.
>
> Many FreeBSD users have stated publicly and privately that they like
> the change, both individual users and operators of name servers for
> busy networks. One was even kind enough to analyze a month's worth of
> logs (from the time the change first went in) and let me know that he
> was surprised how much crap used to be leaving his network, and
> expressing appreciation for the fact that he was now providing better
> service to his users.
>
> That said, I'm not going to play the "how many angels are dancing on
> the head of this pin?" game. If you feel comfortable having your
> server in there, please let me know and I'll be glad to add it to the
> next delta. If not, no worries.

	very interesting answer...  i'm interested in how
	the FreeBSD project gauges concensus in adding new
	features/capabilities.  is this a demonstratable
	process?  throwing up your hands and walking away
	does not seem to align w/ your assertions that
	the change is defenseable in the FreeBSD community.

--bill