[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Aug 1 14:38:40 UTC 2007

> Just to clarify my input to everyone else:

let me do likewise.

> I think there will be a lot of debate over the merits of this type of
> change in behaviour -- I just don't think the actual reversal of the
> change should get bogged down in that.  It seems fundamentally wrong for
> this change to be left as is until each root hosting organization that is
> impacted by it (that it's pointing at now) has agreed to provide this
> service as a default install type of production service (yes, I saw that
> it's off by default).

i am not speaking from the point of view of being impacted by it.  anyone
who NEEDS to transfer this zone from the f-root server should go ahead.  it
is a good diagnostic tool.  malone's use is not based on NEED however, and
making it the default for nonwizards is bad, bad for the nonwizards, bad for
the internet.  i am irritated about the change in the kind of load f-root
will see, from diagnostic to production, of this service.  i am NOT irritated
about the load itself, and so, i'm not asking that f-root's name be removed;
rather, i'm asking that the entire bad idea be rescinded.