[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Chris Yarnell Chris.Yarnell at nominum.com
Wed Aug 1 06:48:09 UTC 2007

Just to clarify my input to everyone else:

I happen to agree with you re the idea, but the point I was trying to get
across to Doug (and by proxy others watching) is that it's irresponsible
for the maintainer of a default configuration in popular OS to make an
operational change like this without discussing it with the appropriate
operators well in advance.  Apologizing after the fact and saying that
he'll selectively undo it for those who ask is just more plainly wrong to
me.

I think there will be a lot of debate over the merits of this type of
change in behaviour -- I just don't think the actual reversal of the
change should get bogged down in that.  It seems fundamentally wrong for
this change to be left as is until each root hosting organization that is
impacted by it (that it's pointing at now) has agreed to provide this
service as a default install type of production service (yes, I saw that
it's off by default).

re re: