[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Wed Aug 1 14:22:47 UTC 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>> Being at the smaller end of the scale, I transfer the root zone
>> (from f.root-servers.net) once a month
>
> Which means that new TLD (like ".asia" or ".travel") may be delayed by
> two weeks on average? As an user, I would find it difficult to
> swallow.

I don't think this is likely a big problem, as most new TLDs are piloted
for a while before they come into active use. However, what would cause
a problem is when a TLD becomes lame, and it is remedied by doing a full
replacement of all of its authorities. This regrettably happens once or
twice a year.

kim