[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Aug 1 07:54:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 05:05:48PM -0500,
 Emilio Perea <eperea at walkereng.com> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> Being at the smaller end of the scale, I transfer the root zone
> (from f.root-servers.net) once a month

Which means that new TLD (like ".asia" or ".travel") may be delayed by
two weeks on average? As an user, I would find it difficult to
swallow.

> and rsync it to a half-dozen other resolvers.  In the three years
> I've done this I haven't run into any problems due to stale data,

Do note that it is a very different setup than the one discussed
here. Yours seems very brittle: one day, cron will fail and noone will
notice before months.