[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Aug 1 06:08:25 UTC 2007

i don't mind the axfr traffic.  what i mind is that a service f-root provides
for diagnostic purposes is now a production service in the eyes of many, and
if we decided to stop offering it, there would be operational consequences.

the reason the change should be reversed is that it's a bad idea, pure&simple.
it has nothing to do with opt-in, opt-out, or traffic load.  wizards who want
to do this upon reading malone's paper or independently thinking of it, can,
and will know their costs and benefits.  it should never be the default, ever.

re: