[dns-operations] If I were the suspicious type.... (was:DNSAmplification Attacks)

Geo. geoincidents at nls.net
Thu Mar 23 11:16:20 UTC 2006

> we (dave rand, my cofounder at MAPS, and i) are STILL fighting with isp's
> to close down outbound tcp/25 from their dynamic address pools.  there's
> an unbelievable amount of pushback, from well meaning but ignorant civil
> libertarians mostly.  it's a similar story to open recursion -- i don't
> like to see this kind of change, but the status quo has become even worse.

I should have known <chuckle>.

We are one of those who refused to block 25 and instead we spend a lot of
time shutting off infected users, calling them and getting them cleaned up
and on the other end filtering spam/virus relentlessly. I know, why you
ask..

Because our niche, is clean unfettered internet access with no restrictions
(nuthin but net) because that's important to some people.

Wow maybe we understand each other better now? You want a global solution
that eliminates the problem from the net pov, I want to fix the cause
because the net is what we are trying to save and I can't see ruining it in
the process (I've spent countless hours getting MS to change install
defaults to make windows more secure). We probably have different views on
how to handle terrorism as well <g>.

Geo.