[dns-operations] ``Ya.com says "The internet is mine" ''

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Aug 9 00:44:09 UTC 2006

At 9:02 AM +1000 8/9/06, Mark Andrews wrote:

>	Can anyone here but me remember "*.EDU.COM"?  RFC 1535 was
>	the result.  People have never liked the normal resolution
>	process being mucked around with.  Why do people persist
>	in trying to do so.

Why?  Because people like to innovate.

"People" - most people don't know about DNS.  Heck, most people in
the world don't use the Internet, even today.  We estimate 1 billion
on the Internet, and 7 billion in the world?

If you mean "people" as in those that "in the past that have worked
on the Internet," the select group of engineers who have done this
work, yes, those people have shown extreme reluctance to anyone
changing the requirements.  Engineers hate it when requirements
change, it means all that cool optimization work might go out the
window.  (That DECnet to TCP bridge I wrote in Ada was way cool...)

The Internet is more and more a part of the real economy and less and
less of a academic exercise.  (I know, been said before.)  Today's
"business" is trying to figure out how to maximize the value of the
Internet.  Business folks do not play by the same rules as engineers.
That doesn't make business folks evil, they are just different.[0]

I understand that the DNS is a little humming machine and altering
the resolution process upsets the apple cart.  But don't the constant
"attacks" on the DNS architecture (underscore name registrations, TXT
reuse, etc.) kind of hint that maybe the little humming machine isn't
being all it can be?

Just because someone is tilting at windmills doesn't mean they are
evil.  They maybe foolish or maybe visionary.  I just wish we'd stop
claiming the sky is falling every time we see this.

[0] this comes to mind - Memorable Quotes from Spaced Invaders: "But,
Dad, they're not really bad, they're just ... stupid."
NeuStar

Soccer/Futbol. IPv6.  Both have lots of 1's and 0's and have a hard time
catching on in North America.