[dns-operations] ``Ya.com says "The internet is mine" ''

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Aug 9 01:10:50 UTC 2006

> The Internet is more and more a part of the real economy and less and
> less of a academic exercise.  (I know, been said before.)  Today's
> "business" is trying to figure out how to maximize the value of the
> Internet.

I think that may be more accurately stated as "maximize their return
using the Internet?"

rick jones

I wonder what would happen if a helpful TCP stack, upon recieving a SYN
segment destined to a port without an active LISTEN endpoint decided to
complete the connection anyway to send-back some sort of helpful - "Did
you really mean to connect to port <mumble>?" rather than a RST or
silence?  Or better still, a UDP datagram arriving for a port without an
open socket?

> Business folks do not play by the same rules as engineers.

Ain't that the truth :)

> That doesn't make business folks evil, they are just different.[0]

Well, if one is to believe the headlines, business folks, playing by
their rules, seem to end-up in court more often :)

> [0] this comes to mind - Memorable Quotes from Spaced Invaders: "But,
> Dad, they're not really bad, they're just ... stupid."

And "the sky is falling" is indeed not a sage response to stupidity.
The question is the degree of "danger" in the stupidity and whether then
it calls for "Let them learn the object lesson." or "Stop them before
the burn-down the house."